Sunday, August 28, 2011

Que sera sera

I learned a lot from my mom over the years, one being how to plan a weekly menu. Watching my mom create a menu then a grocery list for 18 years has rubbed off on me and now I don't go into a store without one. This I have learned has saved me from gaining unwanted pounds. If it is not on the list, I don't buy it; and unfortuately, I never put nutty buddy bars on my list.

But, this list does not solve all my problems. I find that a grocery store (or Wal Mart where I do most my food shopping) is one of the most aggervating places in the world. I always start with the paper goods (it is near the always needed diapers and formula). I walk down the isle with paper towels and am bombarded with choices. Do I want cloth-like, quillited, large squares or make my own size squares? Do I want a print and what color and kind of print do I want? These decisions only worsen as I walk through the T.P. section. Do I want double-ply or single (I always want double)? Now at this point I have not quite recovered from the paper towels and I try to make the most economical decision, as it makes no sense to spend tons of money on something you will flush down the toilette (literally). So I grab what, after 5 minutes of price comparison, brand comparison, and quality comparison, I think will be the best; only to find out when I get home I grabbed the singe-ply!

Now the aggervation only increases from there as you move into the food section. Mac-and-cheese is no longer just mac-and-cheese there are the shells, the spiral, the Sponge Bob or Scoobie Doo, the double cheese, triple cheese, the white cheese, and the cheesiest mac-and-cheese ever! I'll spare the rest of the aggervations because just thinking about the peanut butter section (which is the last section) about sends me into hysteria.

So, despite all my planning, it sometimes seems all for naught becuase I walk away with the sugar-free ice cream and not the Chunky Monkey ice cream that it will take to calm my nerves!It would be nice if I walked into Wal Mart with my list and exactly what I wanted and someone would tell me what would be best. No debate, no questions, just simply this is what is best for you.

At this point your wondering why the rant about grocery shopping! Its simply life has too many options. I really want to tell someone what I want and they tell me exactly how to get it. Instead I am left wandering around, comparing options and choices, hoping to pick the best one. Problem is, if I choose wrong with life it's not just a month of bad toilette paper or six months of disgusting sugar/fat free peanut butter that eventually gets thrown out (with a little guilt). But instead, it could impact my family for years. I guess, I am just a little overwhelmed with the decisions Tyler and I have to make now. I hope that with a lot of thought, prayers, and faith that we'll choose right.

No comments:

Post a Comment