Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Birth Day

In a lot of ways this should have been one of my easier pregnancies. I didn't have to work. I had three other kids at home to take my mind off the slow passage of time during pregnancy. I didn't retain water, woohoo! But despite this, it was a rather long and complicated pregnancy.

At six weeks I started hemorrhaging. I called my midwife and she assumed I was miscarrying and asked me to go to the doctor the next day for an ultrasound. That ultrasound showed a placenta but nothing else. Two days later I went back for another ultrasound, which revealed a placenta and a yolk sack (what you see before you see a baby). A week later I went in for my third ultrasound and we saw August, well a little grain of rice that would grow to be him. 

All throughout this time I continued to bleed. I decided with a move to Lehi I would switch from a midwife to a doctor. After a little research I choose Dr. Jones. I scheduled a visit with him. He said this pregnancy could easily go either way and put me on modified bed rest (don't lift or clean or do any of those things a mom has to do). During the fall I bled quite heavy on a few different occasions. I had numerous ultrasounds (well over twenty) and they determined I had a very large subchorionic hemorrhage and partial placental abruption. In January I went to Labor and Delivery for the first time for my bleeding and I believe I went back for a variety of reasons every three weeks for the remainder of the pregnancy. And we enjoyed one week long stay in the hospital for preterm labor. 

I went to the doctor on May 6th for an appointment. We decided to induce at exactly 37 weeks - May 8. So, at 6:30am Tyler and I got in the car and drove to American Fork hospital to meet our little boy. Compared to the pregnancy the labor was so very easy! 

I finally got to go to a room instead of stay in triage. Around 7:30 I was hooked up to an IV, started on pitocin and given an epidural. By 11:00am I was ready to push. I think I pushed for 8 minutes and he was here! At 11:17 my 6lb11oz and 18in baby boy, August Wyeth was here. 

Dr. Jones showed me the placenta. You could see where the bleeding took place - it look like bruising on the placenta. He also told me the placenta had not formed correctly - instead of having all the different "pieces" that placentas usually have it was only one smooth part. The nurse told me later that the doctor had called August a little miracle baby. I am so relieved to have him here. I am so grateful for all the prayers that were said for August and I. He is such a sweet little miracle.























No comments:

Post a Comment